Family Physicians Inquiries Network
The department is a member of the Family Physicians Inquiries Network (FPIN) Consortium, a grass roots effort to make evidence-based family medicine and clinical scholarship more accessible to family physicians in clinical practice.
Tom Satre, MD, serves as the local editor for Evidence-Based Practice, FPIN's peer-reviewed journal.
Local editorial board members include:
- Patricia Adam, MD, MSPH
- Diane Madlon-Kay, MD, MS
- David Power, MD, MPH
- Andrew Slattengren, DO
- Health sciences librarian Jim Beattie, MLS
Several of our family medicine residencies also participates in FPIN's HelpDesk Answers.
Residents work with faculty coauthors to write evidence-based answers to a HelpDesk question generated by FPIN.
What are HelpDesk Answers?
HelpDesk Answers are brief, structured answers to clinical questions written by physicians for physicians based on the best available recent evidence.
- Residents work with a faculty coauthor to answer a HelpDesk question, utilizing recent literature.
- Manuscript, author checklist, and PDFs of references are e-mailed to research staff Heidi Fall, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Manuscripts are sent to local editorial board members for review.
- Reviews are submitted to Heidi Fall and then sent on to authors for revision(s).
- Revisions are e-mailed back to Heidi Fall who forwards revised manuscript to FPIN's Evidence-Based Practice editor-in-chief for review.
- Editor's comments are e-mailed back to Heidi Fall and authors, and the manuscript is considered in an accept-revise process.