Program in Sports Medicine
The department officially launched a Program in Sports Medicine in 2013, but has been a leader in primary care sports medicine education, research, and practice for more than 20 years.
The department sponsors a one-year, ACGME-accredited Sports Medicine Fellowship, one of the first of its kind in the nation.
Residents learn sports and musculoskeletal medicine longitudinally through clinical care, team and event coverage, and day-long didactic courses.
The department holds the following one to two-day programmatic residency courses:
- Sports Medicine I: Basic Musculoskeletal Assessments (required)
- Sports Medicine II: Procedures in Sports Medicine (elective)
- USA Soccer Cup Sports Medicine (elective)
Medical student education
The following elective courses are available to third- and fourth-year medical students:
We have specialty-trained physicians providing care in the clinic, on the sidelines, and in the training room.
Our faculty provide clinical service and education at the following clinics:
- University of Minnesota Health Sports Medicine Clinic
- University of Minnesota Physicians Broadway Family Medicine Clinic
- University of Minnesota Physicians Mill City Clinic
- University of Minnesota Phalen Village Family Medicine Clinic
- University of Minnesota Physicians Smiley’s Family Medicine Clinic
- Park Nicollet Clinic - Chanhassen
- TRIA Orthopaedic Center
Team and event coverage
Family medicine faculty and orthopedic surgeons form the medical team for the University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
Our faculty also provide medical coverage or serve as team physicians at the professional, collegiate, high school, and Olympic levels.