TEACH Course Sessions
Sessions include a mix of lecture, discussion, group activity, and facilitated work time.
Duration: A total of six three-hour sessions each month from January to June. Sessions are usually held on the third Tuesday of the month.
A participant's curriculum project is the backbone of the Teaching, Evaluation, and Curriculum for Healthcare Professionals (TEACH) course. Each session provides the necessary skills and structured work time toward completing it.
At the end of the course, participants present their project at a poster session. Participants are encouraged to use the curriculum project as a basis for regional or national presentations and for publication.
Topics that get covered include:
- Understanding the curriculum development process
- Developing a rational for your curriculum
- Conducting needs assessments
- Applying educational theory to teaching
- Writing goals and objectives
- Choosing educational strategies
- Developing learner and program evaluations
- Small and large group teaching strategies
- Strategies for effective and efficient outpatient and inpatient teaching
- Preparing a poster presentation
- Turning a curriculum project into a publication
The following is a summary of what's covered in each of the six sessions.
- Utilize a systems approach to curriculum development
- Perform the planning steps in a systems approach to curriculum development
- Discriminate between a general and targeted needs assessments
- Interpret learning theory as it applies to medical education
- Perform the planning steps in a systems approach
- Perform second stage planning steps in a systems approach to curriculum development
- Perform a lecture
- Interpret models and skills for office-based teaching
- Describe the basic principles of learner evaluation as part of a systems approach
- Explain the steps toward successfully employing demonstration as a teaching strategy
- Summarize methods and concepts of an effective scholarly poster
- Describe the basic principles of program evaluation
- Facilitate a small group discussion
- Summarize the process of turning curriculum projects into research
- Explain the curriculum development process for a local educational project
- Discuss a proposed plan for locale implement of a local educational project
- Summarize the curriculum development and proposed implementation plans of other participants’ project toward identification of best practices