St. John's Phalen Village Family Medicine Clinic
The U of M Physicians Phalen Village Family Medicine Clinic is a certified health care home located in St. Paul, four miles from the residency's suburban St. John's Hospital, in a diverse, urban neighborhood.
Patients include newborns, adolescents, adults, the elderly, and those residing in nursing homes/assisted living facilities.
The clinic won the 2016 Readers' Choice Award for "Best Place for Health Care" on the the east side of St. Paul by East Side Review, a local neighborhood paper.
- EpicCare (electronic medical record)
- Conference room
- Digital x-ray
- 20 exam rooms
- Complete lab
- Two procedure rooms
- Surgical facilities
- three ultrasound machines, one stationary and two portable
- Large resident room with desk space for each resident
- Hmong and Spanish interpreters on-site; outside interpreter services contracted as needed
- Procedures include colposcopy, OB ultrasound, nasal pharyngoscopy, vasectomy, skin biopsy and other excision techniques
- Lean Systems efficiencies and process improvement opportunities
- Practice-based research on-site
In-house lab tests
The clinic performs a number of laboratory tests in-house.
- CBC with three part differential
- ESR (Sed Rate)
- Glucose meter
- Glycosylated hemoglobin A1c
- Helicobacter Pylori
- HCG qualitative (serum and urine)
- KOH scraping
- Mono testing
- Occult blood (stool)
- Rapid strep (group A)
- Urinalysis with micro
- Wet prep (KOH included)
Other tests are sent to our reference laboratory twice daily.
The clinic is connected to the reference laboratory's computer system, so results can be accessed at the clinic and in the electronic medical record as soon as they are available.
The clinic performs a number of procedures in-house.
- Casting and splinting
- Ear hematoma
- Ear lobe repair
- Endometrial biopsy
- IUD placement
- Joint injections and aspirations
- Nexplanon insertion and removal
- Obstetric ultrasound
- Obstetric ultrasound - quick look
- Osteopathic manual treatment (OMT)
- Removal/excision of skin lesions
- Skin biopsy
- Suture placement/removal
- Toenail removal
- Weight certification and skin fold testing