Park Nicollet Clinic – Creekside serves as a medical home to a large population of independent, older adults.
Residents manage the following:
- Home care
- Rehabilitation services
- Specialty referral
- Interpreting the health care system to maturing patients
Inpatient hospital service
Our inpatient family medicine hospital service usually includes a substantial geriatric population.
- Counsel patients and families about end-of-life issues and work with the care integration team to plan appropriate patient disposition
- Receive training as Physicians Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (POLST) facilitators to help clarify treatment plans and orders
- Learn a multidisciplinary approach to delirium prevention and treatment, including utilizing the Hospital Elder Life Program to reduce incidence in at-risk patients
Nursing home care
- Care for panels of three to six nursing home patients during second and third years
- Round monthly with attending and nurse practitioner; topics include behavioral challenges, life cycles, and practice management
- Use innovative Geriatric Tool Kit—the award-winning, resident-designed backpack—to expand services offered in the nursing home
- Call includes taking telephone calls from nursing homes regarding acute changes in patients
- Learn how to manage nursing home patients as part of family medicine practice
Residents assess the homes of older patients as well as health needs in the context of the living environment.