Chief and Assistant Chief Resident
The Methodist chief resident is a one-year elected, salaried position, occupied by a third-year resident. It includes a variety of academic and administrative responsibilities.
The chief is assisted by an assistant chief. Each third-year resident rotates as assistant chief for a two- or three-month period.
Chief resident duties
The elected chief attends the AAFP Chief Resident Leadership Development Program, a three-day workshop in Kansas City, and a follow-up workshop at the AAFP Assembly. Expenses are paid by the program.
- Coordinate weekly M&M conference with interns and ensure attendance of a third-year resident
- Help assistant chief coordinate Friday afternoon case conferences
- Attend faculty development and RED conferences and Educational Policy and Curricular Development meetings at the University of Minnesota
- Assist in planning noon educational conferences
- Assist in orienting new interns and educating medical students
- Provide input about the development of new educational experiences
- Make call schedule and facilitate coverage in emergencies, illness, or conflicts
- Attend faculty meetings and retreats when appropriate and serve as spokesperson for residents
- Coordinate and run the monthly open resident meeting and closed resident meeting when assistant chief is not available
- Attend monthly nursing meetings or coordinate coverage with assistant chief
- Assist residency coordinator with recruitment activities
- Provide input on policy development
- Orient the newly elected chief in preparation for the coming year
- Maintain full academic responsibilities and remain in good academic standing
- Adapt to the changing needs of the residency
Assistant chief duties
The assistant chief works closely with the clinic medical director and manager as well as the residency coordinator and director regarding resident concerns, residency requirements, and practice management issues. The assistant chief works in conjunction with the elected third-year chief resident. The assistant chief role coincides with the third-year psychiatry rotation.