First-year residents gain experience in evaluating and managing a range of acute medical problems.
OB call is 24 hours averaging every 4th night while on rotation.
House call averages every fifth night until 10:00 pm.
- Rapid initial evaluation of hospitalized patients who have an acute status change
- Leading the code team for both pediatric and adult codes, and providing rapid initial assessment for possible stroke patients
- Certification in Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) will be required during orientation
- Ability to manage critically ill patients (with support from second-/third-year resident on-call)
Second and third year
Second- and third-year residents take overnight call three/four times per month. In addition to house coverage for the hospital, they admit patients to the family medicine service while on call.
- Used exclusively by Methodist residents
- Includes private bathroom and shower, lockers, a Sleep Number bed, a small library, TV, a small refrigerator, and computer access