Global Family Medicine
Residents in our eight residency programs regularly participate in international experiences. They may be based on current international relationships established by the university and residency program, or customized to a trainee's interests and goals.
Planning an international rotation takes time, so we recommend you start early. Residents should allow 12 months for pre-departure preparation.
A current and completed affiliation agreement is required prior to starting.
Past focus areas have included one or more of the following:
- Community health
- Health systems
- Infectious disease
- Social determinants
- Team development
Residents have completed rotations in:
- Costa Rica
- South Korea
Discover upcoming presentations related to global health on our News and Events page. View the following previously recorded presentations:
- Department of Family Medicine and Community Health past Grand Rounds recorded presentations (e.g. South Africa, Kenya).
- Past, Present, and Future of Healthcare in Venezuela
- Tropical and Travel Medicine Seminars
Courses and workshops are offered in collaboration with:
- University of Minnesota Department of Medicine
- University of Minnesota Department of Pediatrics
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Clinical and non-clinical elective experiences are developed in partnership with:
- University of Minnesota Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility
- University of Minnesota Global Programs and Strategy Alliance