Global Family Medicine
Global Family Medicine is an elective curricular experience where residents in our eight residency programs participate in structured international experiences to gain the skills and knowledge to care for our global citizens and communities.
A current and completed affiliation agreement is required prior to starting.
Main components may include:
- Working with a department or community faculty mentor who has experience in global health care
- Participating in an international experience. Allow 6-12 months for pre-departure preparation
- Attending the Online Global Health Course, Tropical and Travel Medicine Seminars, or other training in-person or online
- Program opportunities with Child Family Health International sites
- University of Minnesota Department of Medicine Travel and Tropical Medicine Elective
Discover upcoming presentations related to global health on our News and Events page. View the following previously recorded presentations:
- Department of Family Medicine and Community Health past Grand Rounds recorded presentations (e.g. South Africa, Kenya).
- Past, Present, and Future of Healthcare in Venezuela
- Tropical and Travel Medicine Seminars
Residents have completed rotations in the following countries:
- Costa Rica
Courses and workshops are offered in collaboration with:
- University of Minnesota Department of Medicine
- University of Minnesota Department of Pediatrics
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Clinical and non-clinical elective experiences are developed in partnership with:
Learn more about global health
- Fogarty Global Health Fellowship
- American Academy of Family Physicians Global Health
- World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians
- Contact us for more information, family medicine resident elective approval, and to ask about developing new global family medicine sites.