Apply to Family Medicine Residency Programs and Interview Information
Applications for the eight family medicine residency programs will be accepted September 15 to December 31, 2017.
How to apply
Applying as soon as possible is strongly encouraged because interview calendars fill up fast, and programs have wait lists.
- Register with the National Resident Matching Program
- Review the application criteria and materials needed for application
- Apply separately to each University of Minnesota family medicine residency program in which you're interested through ERAS by December 31, 2017
Check ERAS for communications about the status of your application with each program or contact Laura Pham, 612-626-0194, email@example.com.
Programs contact applicants for interviews and about application status as early as September and as late as January.
Tip: Set up an e-mail specifically for application correspondence and include it in your ERAS application. Set up your ERAS e-mail to be forwarded to an e-mail account service that can send you an alert on your personal device when an e-mail is received. Contact ERAS and/or your e-mail service provider for assistance.
- Held from October to January
- Times and days of the week vary by program
- Please allow one day for each program's interview
- Notify residency administration with interview changes or cancellation within one to two weeks prior to the interview
- View transportation and lodging information
Contact us if you have questions or need more information.
University of Minnesota Medical School Diversity and Inclusion
Learn about programs leading diversity and inclusion. View diversity statement. Report discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
All eight programs will consider couples match applicants.
- View a list of other University of Minnesota residency programs and fellowships
- Check out University job search resources for your spouse or partner
We do not sponsor H-1B visas. The J-1/J-2 alien physician visa, sponsored by ECFMG, is the preferred visa status for foreign national trainees in all University of Minnesota graduate medical education programs.
Please note: Mankato and St. Cloud do not sponsor employment visas.
Off-cycle or PGY-2 positions
Applicants must meet the criteria to be considered for possible off-cycle or PGY-2 positions.
Submit the following materials to Laura Pham by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Personal statement, including reason for off-cycle start or change in residency
- Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE and/or COMLEX transcripts, which verifies number of attempts on each exam
- Three letters of recommendation written within last year
- Medical school transcript
- Medical school performance evaluation/dean's letter
- Current or previous program director's contact information
- List of rotations completed at current or previous residency
- ECFMG Certification, if a non-US medical school graduate
Do I need to apply to more than one program to be considered for an interview at multiple programs?
Yes. If you are interested in more than one of our residency programs, you need to apply to each program, individually, through ERAS to be considered for an interview.
How much time should I allow for each interview?
One day per program.
When is the best time to apply?
Apply as soon as possible. Although we have a deadline for application of December 31, interview calendars fill up quickly.
Are companions welcome on interview day?
Yes, contact the program administrator if you plan to bring a companion to your interview.
2018 Residency start dates
Our residents start training in mid-June.
The following are 2018 start dates for each program:
- Duluth: June 15, 2018
- Mankato: June 11, 2018
- Methodist: June 11, 2018
- North Memorial: June 13, 2018
- St. Cloud: June 18, 2018
- St. John's: June 18, 2018
- St. Joseph's: June 18, 2018
- University of Minnesota Medical Center: June 12, 2018